Purple Sweet Potato and Cabbage Soup
This purple soup’s color is sure to captivate your attention and your tastebuds. I wanted to create a soup that was bright purple because most fall soups are orange or brown and that get repetitive. This soup only uses whole plant ingredients and is a perfect side to any autumn meal.
- 1 medium purple sweet potato
- 1/2 medium red cabbage, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Cook the whole sweet potato in the Instant Pot at high pressure for 8 minutes or in the oven at 250 degrees F for around 2 hours. Peel the sweet potato and set aside.
- To a large saucepan add the garlic and a drizzle of olive oil or water and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped cabbage and water into the pot, cover, and cook at medium heat for about 10 minutes or until the cabbage is soft.
- Add the cabbage, water, and cooked sweet potato into a large blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup mixture back into the pot and add the rest of the spices, sage, onion powder, salt, smoked paprika, and balsamic vinegar. Cook on medium heat while stirring until it is warm.
- Optional: Swirl in some coconut milk on top or into the soup. Serve as desired; leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you make this be sure to tag me on Instagram @plantifulpicnic. I love to see your creations!