Vegan Butternut squash chili
- 1.5 cups dried black beans
- 1.25 cups dried kidney beans
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 tsp better than bouillon vegetable base (optional)
- 3-4 small sweet green peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 3-4 jalepeno peppers (seeds removed)
- 1.5 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 ears of sweet corn
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp each of cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Soak the beans overnight. Place the kidney beans and 1 tsp bouillon into the instant pot and cover with water. Cook on high pressure for 1 minute, then quickly release the pressure. Add in the black beans and cover with water. Add half of the cut butternut squash into a small metal bowl and place the bowl into the instant pot with the beans. This is so you can cook the beans and squash at the same time. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Cut the remaining squash into small equally sized cubes, coat with oil or vegetable broth, and roast in the oven at 400 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Grill the whole corn cobs a few minutes on each side or use your preferred cooking method. Cut the corn off of the cob.
- Once the beans are done cooking, drain the liquid from the beans. Place the cooked squash from the instant pot into a blender and add 1.5-2 cups water. Blend until smooth.
- Add in the pureed squash, peppers, the rest of the spices, pressed garlic, and lime juice to the pot and cook on sauté for a few minutes longer. Add in the corn and roasted butternut squash and serve warm.
*Note: If using canned beans use 3 cans black beans and about 2 cans kidney beans.