Vegan Blackberry Pizza with Cashew Cheese
Add some variety to your pizza nights with this blackberry sauce pizza. The blackberry sauce has a beautiful purple hue and is sure to impress guests at a dinner party! This sauce only uses whole food ingredients and tastes delicious. The dough and cashew cheese are easy to make, but if you are short on time you can also use store-bought vegan cheese. The blackberries and veggies I used are all in season during the late California summer.
- 3.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3 dates soaked
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 yellow squash
- 5-6 fresh figs
- 6-8 asparagus stems
- handful of baby broccoli
- fresh blackberries
- fresh basil, spinach, rosemary
- dried Italian herbs (oregano, basil, sage, parsley, marjoram etc.)
- To make the dough, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Add the water and olive oil and knead the dough until well combined. Cover and place the dough in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
- To make the blackberry sauce, rinse the blackberries then place them and the other sauce ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- To make the cashew cheese, add soaked cashews and the rest of the cheese ingredients into a food processor. Process until it becomes a consistency of milk. Pour the cashew milk into a saucepan and heat at medium heat while stirring continuously. Keep cooking for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes. Fill a large bowl with ice water and 1/2 to 1 tsp of salt. Scoop out spoonfuls of the cashew cheese and place them in the water. Take each spoonful out and form them into balls with your hands, then smash each ball to look like sliced mozzarella. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Divide the dough into two or three portions. Roll each portion into a ball then roll out on a floured surface. Roll these out very thin.
- Place the rolled dough onto greased baking sheets. Spread a generous amount of the blackberry sauce onto the pizza crust. Place sliced yellow squash or zucchini onto the pizzas. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out the pizzas and place the remaining toppings onto the pizza- sliced figs, asparagus, baby broccoli, black berries, spinach, fresh basil, and fresh rosemary. Sprinkle on top dried Italian herbs. Place the pizzas back in the oven and cook for another 15-18 minutes or until the crusts become golden. Drizzle on the remaining blackberry sauce and enjoy while warm.
If you make this definitely let me know how it went and tag me, @plantifulpicnic, on Instagram!