Barbecue Seitan Kabobs
This seitan is meaty, full of flavor, and does’t have a rubbery texture like many seitan recipes. Rip it up, add veggies, and it becomes perfect for grilling on skewers. I used a store bought barbecue sauce. You can use any barbecue sauce that you would like.
- assorted summer veggies (I used zucchini, bell peppers, and mushrooms)
- 2 ¼-½ cup vital wheat gluten*
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- ½ tbsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Add all dry ingredients except salt to a large bowl and mix well.
- Add all the wet ingredients and salt to a separate bowl and mix well.
- Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix very well. (*Depending on the consistency of the wet ingredients, you may need to add a bit more vital wheat gluten).
- Add spoonfuls of wheat gluten to the mixture and knead until the texture of the dough becomes elastic and fibrous.
- Continue kneading for five minutes. Tear off small pieces of dough and wrap them in aluminum foil.
- Steam in a steamer over water on the stove at medium heat for about an hour.
- Chill cooked seitan in the fridge overnight or use seitan right away.
- Rip apart seitan and cut veggies into bite-sized pieces. Add seitan and veggies to skewers.
- Cook on the grill for a few minutes on each side until the edges start to brown and get grill marks.
- Top it off with barbeque sauce and enjoy.
If you make this recipe be sure to let me know how it goes and tag me on Instagram @plantifulpicnic.