Perfect Instant Pot Black Beans
These black beans are full of flavor, are cooked perfectly (not too mushy or too hard), and are so easy to make in the Instant Pot. Double this batch to help with your week’s meal prep.
I use Better than Bouillon vegetable base instead of vegetable stock, which reduces packaging and saves money. I got a jar from my local Whole Foods.
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2.5 tsp Better than Bouillon vegetable base
- Place dry black beans in a large container and cover with enough water so that there is 1/2 to 1 inch of water above the beans. Let beans soak overnight or all day.
- Drain the beans and add them to the Instant Pot along with 2 cups of fresh water, 2 cloves of garlic, cumin, onion powder, oregano, coriander, and better than bouillon.
- Gently stir the beans, then turn the pressure valve to seal and pressure cook for 7 minutes. (It might take slightly longer to cook if you did not soak the beans for long)
- Release the pressure and enjoy your beans on a Caribbean bowl, salads or anything else.
Black Bean Caribbean Bowl
These black beans go great in a Caribbean bowl. Add brown rice, fried plantains, cabbage, kale, avocado, and top with salsa and chipotle mayo.
Cashew Chipotle Mayo
- 1 cup cashews
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (adjust for spiciness level)
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Soak the cashews overnight or cook in boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Add cashews and the rest of the ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until very smooth.
If you make this be sure to let me know how it goes and tag me on Instagram @plantifulpicnic