Vegan nacho cheese sauce
I have seen so many vegan nacho cheese sauces that use cashews. I love cashew cheese, but I wanted to make a cheese sauce without using cashews to make it a bit more budget friendly and allergy friendly. This vegan nacho cheese sauce is free of oil and cashews. It uses healthy whole food ingredients including carrots, tahini, and tapioca flour as a thickener. This cheese sauce is great on top of tortilla chips, sweet potato fries, potato fries, and on top of burrito bowls.
- 2 medium carrots (about 1.25 cups)
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- pinch chipotle chili powder (adjust for spiciness level)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2-4 tbsp tapioca flour (add closer to 4 tbsp for a thicker sauce)
- Cut carrots into small, 1/4-1/2 inch, pieces. Place cut carrots into a saucepan of boiling water. Cook carrots on the stove until they are soft.
- Place cooked carrots and the rest of the ingredients into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheese mixture into a small saucepan and heat on the stove at medium heat. Stir the cheese sauce constantly with a spatula until it thickens (about 2 minutes).
- Pour cheese sauce into a bowl for dipping chips, or pour over tortilla chips, fries, burrito bowls etc.
If you make this recipe be sure to let me know how it went and tag me on Instagram @plantifulpicnic. I would love to see your creations!