Tofu Sushi with Sriracha Mayo
A few years ago I started a sushi making craze. I made my own rolls for friends and family using white rice in plastic, plastic-wrapped nori, vegetables, a plastic tube of sriracha mayo, and fish. Now none of this will do for the plastic-conscious vegan I am now. It would seem like a lot has to change to make sushi healthier and vegan, but I assure you you don’t have to sacrifice flavor for a more sustainable sushi. I like to use mango, tofu, and avocado in my sushi, because it gives it a nice sweet and salty mushiness that I love. Use this sriracha mayo in any of your favorite vegan sushi combinations. I topped it off on a sushi bowl I made with all of the leftovers. The sushi wrapping can get a bit tedious, but it makes for a great appetizer that begs for attention at your next potluck or just a pretty lunch for yourself.
Tofu and Zucchini Sushi with Sriracha Mayo
- 1 mango
- 2 carrots chopped thinly
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup brown rice + 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- firm tofu
- 1/3 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 date
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 tsp sriracha (more to taste)
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Cover cashews in water and set aside to soak. Cut tofu into small blocks. Add all of the tofu marinade ingredients into a small baking dish or bowl and mix. Add the tofu to the bowl and let sit for at least an hour. Occasionally turn the tofu so that all sides get in the marinade. The longer it sits in the marinade, then the stronger the flavor will be.
- Combine the brown rice with 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, the reduce heat to simmer for 40 to 50 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed. Stir in the rice vinegar and salt and let cool.
- Combine soaked cashews with the rest of the sriracha mayo ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Cut vegetables and fruits into small chunks. Use a vegetable peeler to make wide ribbons from the zucchinis.
- To assemble the sushi, place a zucchini ribbon onto a flat surface and spoon the brown rice across the length of the ribbon leaving about an inch at the end with no rice.
- Gently press the rice into the zucchini and spread a spoonful of sriracha mayo across the rice. Add a piece of tofu, mango, carrots and avocado to the end with rice.
- Start rolling up at the end with fillings and rice. Continue rolling until you reach the end of the zucchini with no rice.
- Top rolls with more sriracha mayo, sesame seeds, ginger, or wasabi as desired. Serve with soy sauce.
If you make this be sure to let me know how it goes and tag @plantifulpicnic on Instagram!